Monday, January 1, 2007

FIANCE AND HIS NASTY NASTY FAMILY

Nothing is perfect..how true. My fiance is the most wonderful person that any girl can ever wish for! We do have our usual squabbles like every other couple but it will never last for long. He is definitely a guy worthy of all the sacrifices that I have to make!

Well..the only problem is...his family. I am a bubbly, fun-loving and easy-going person and gets along well with everyone. Never has it crossed my mind that I can actually hate someone to this extent! There has been so many occasions where I thank my parents for introducing me to buddhism. To forgive and forget and that there is retribution in this world. In short, THEY WILL BE PUNISHED FOR ALL THE NASTY THINGS THAT THEY HAVE SAID AND DONE!

Parents - They are very picky, strict, serious, pessimistic, boring, traditional and stressful. They worry about everything and prepare themselves for the worst case scenario. There is a lack of trust, communication and love within their family as well. Being a finance graduate, I have to say that I am pretty good with my money. Unfortunately, they like to question my fiance and myself about our financial status and it is UNACCEPTABLE! This has definitely stepped way beyond my comfort zone. My parents brought me up, trusting that I know what I am are doing. I was never questioned on the way I spend, unless I went way-off budget and maxed the credit card and have to ask them for help!

Sisters - Eldest sister is the pain in the ass and thank god she lives in another city! She believes that she's perfect, rich, successful and no one can measure up. Did I mention snobbish? She loves telling us how glamourous her life is and I wish I can tell her that she's actually an embarassment. I would love to tell her that wearing a tiffany & co silver bracelet is nothing and that she should let me know the next time she buys a louis vuitton. I'll give her some $ so that she can get a better one because the one that she carries everywhere is hideous! Lastly, I wish I can tell her that such things do not make her any better than anyone else. She can pretend to be upmarket and lead a glamourous life, eating at expensive restaurants and wear designer clothing but everyone will know once they meet the rest of the family so why bother? Why spend all the money on designer clothing when your parents can barely make ends meet. Your dad's a gardener and your mum's a cleaner. These are respectable jobs but they will never fit into her fantasy world of designer brands so what is the point? Many times, I've decide to shut up because nothing good will be coming out of my mouth and its better to not say anything and live with it than to give her a piece of my mind and live to regret and incur the wrath of the rest of the family. At least I can pretend to get along with them at this point in time. So well, she's gone and I won't have to see her for a few months! Thank god!

Youngest sister - dumb. Definitely an attention-seeker would believes that everything revolves around her. She talks about nothing but cosmetics and fashion and has nothing intelligent to say. Our last conversation was about her ball dress. She has a turquoise dress that she wore as a bridesmaid and I would say that she looks good in it. Their family isn't coping very well financially and I feel that she should just wear that dress and go for her ball. Unfortunately, she don't like the colour (!!!) and wants her mum to make something for her so that no one else will have the same dress. I wish I can tell her that everyone has seen her in her school uniform and jeans and t-shirt. Having Karl Lagerfield designing a dress for her, have an entourage of top make-up artist and hair stylist will not turn her into a supermodel so WHY BOTHER! Everyone wants to look beautiful but her idea is to look drop-dead gorgeous, be the talk of the town/school and have guys falling head-over heels! Trust me, she will never be all that so why bother! She's only 16 and is doing really badly in school. Maybe she should learn how to focus on more important things!

So well, thats pretty much the family. They are the total opposite from my family and it has been so difficult getting along with them. I am not used to many things they do, the decisions they make but have decided to keep quiet and watch them fall than to help. They have, on many occasions, treat me as an outsider. I have cried and wished that things are different but have reached a stage where I will only protect my fiance and myself. They'll lead their life and I'll lead mine and hopefully, the chances of us having to cross path is minimised :)

No comments: