Sunday, March 18, 2007

am I too practical?

Thats the question I've been asking myself for the past hour. I am a practical person. I am not the type of girl who wants flowers on valentines day or be pampered with presents. Sitting down beside me, hugging me and staring at the ocean means a lot more than a dozen of roses. I don't care and don't need presents on my birthday, christmas or valentines day. I rather be surprised...something out of the blue....

Well fiance and I are looking at getting a job in singapore. Main hurdle is, we need to produce a marriage certificate to get all the right visas. We are moving because we feel that we will do a lot better there, for both our careers and financially. If we continue to stay in Australia, I will be faced with a $400-500K mortgage by the time I'm 30 and will be spending the rest of my life paying it back. And repayments will clean up a big chunk of our salary and we won't have a life. Even renting is getting out of hand these days. The mining boom left people like us out of the boom and we're still earning as much as did but house prices have gone up 50-100%, interest rate is going up and cost of living is going up. Hence, the decision to go to somewhere where we can afford to put a roof over our head, get paid as much, pay a lot less taxes and have better career opportunities.

So what's holding us back? The marriage certificate is the main problem. I see it more as signing a paper to get what we want. Similar to buying a house, a car etc. We will have a wedding 2 years down the track where we saved up more money, have a church wedding for his parents, nice wedding dinner and all. Let us deal with the big move, settle down in a new place and new job before we start planning a wedding and do it properly. If we don't need the marriage certificate to get the visa, we wouldn't even bother trying to get it! However, we don't think his parents will see things the way we see it. We believe they will object to it and would want us to have a wedding before we move. We dont have $20K for a wedding and I don't want to have a wedding by end of this year. So if it comes down to that, should we have a long distance relationship? I don't believe in long distance relationship. It's very hard and based on a lot more trust and commitment. And if it is so difficult and he wouldn't even do it for us, can I trust him to do anything for me? Should i put him in such a tight situation and force him to choose and make his own decision?

I guess I'm scared because this time, I feel as though I'm more than happy to pack my bags and go to Singapore. If things don't work out between us, at least we tried and he made the choice of not coming along. We could have a future but he decided not to. And i guess thats why I'm scared...scared that I don't actually care if it comes down to that....

No comments: